Netflix confirmed in February 2016 that it would produce its first German-language series with Who Am I? director Baran bo Odar and the producers behind foreign-language Oscar winner The Lives of Others.
The series, entitled Dark, is described as a mysterious saga following four families living in a small German town. Their idyllic life is torn apart when two children mysteriously disappear and the families' dark secrets begin to come to the surface.
Jantje Friese, who co-wrote Odar's cyber-thriller Who am I? penned the screenplay for the series.
Netflix made a 10-episode order for Dark, which began production in 2016 and was released to Netflix subscribers worldwide in 2017. Quirin Berg, Max Wiedemann and Justyna Müsch were producers.
“Dark is an incredible German story that will appeal to a global audience.” said Erik Barmack, VP international originals at Netflix. “Bo and Jantje are creative talents that have developed great projects in both Berlin and Hollywood, and we are thrilled to be working with them on our first original series entirely authored, beautifully shot and produced in Germany.”
- Louis Hofmann as Jonas Kahnwald
- Daan Lennard Liebrenz as Mikkel Nielsen
- Oliver Masucci as Ulrich Nielsen
- Jördis Triebel as Katharina Nielsen
- Maja Schöne as Hannah Kahnwald
- Karoline Eichhorn as Charlotte Doppler
- Deborah Kaufmann as Regina Tiedemann
- Lisa Vicari as Martha Nielsen
- Moritz Jahn as Magnus Nielsen
- Paul Lux as Bartosz Tiedemann
- Gina Alice Stiebitz as Franziska Doppler
- Stephan Kampwirth as Peter Doppler
- Hermann Beyer as Helge Doppler
- Ludger Bökelmann as Ulrich Nielsen (1986)
- Nele Trebs as Katharina Nielsen (1986)
- Ella Lee as Hannah Kahnwald (1986)
- Peter Benedict as Aleksander Tiedemann
- Tatja Seibt as Jana Nielsen
- Walter Kreye as Tronte Nielsen
- Julika Jenkins as Claudia Tiedemann (1986)
- Anne Ratte-Polle as Ines Kahnwald (1986)
- Lydia Makrides as Regina Tiedemann (1986)
- Peter Schneider as Helge Doppler (1986)
- Carlotta von Falkenhayn as Elisabeth Doppler
- Angela Winkler as Ines Kahnwald
- Christian Pätzold as Egon Tiedemann (1986)
- Andreas Pietschmann as The Stranger
- Christian Steyer as H.G. Tannhaus (1986)
- Mark Waschke as Noah
Recurring and Guest Cast
- Sebastian Rudolph as Michael Kahnwald
- Tom Philipp as Helge Doppler (1953)
- Stephanie Amarell as Charlotte Doppler (1986)
- Anne Lebinsky as Jana Nielsen (1986)
- Felix Kramer as Tronte Nielsen (1986)
- Lisa Kreuzer as Claudia Tiedemann
- Anatole Taubman as Bernd Doppler (1953)
- Cordelia Wege as Greta Doppler (1953)
- Sebastian Hülk as Egon Tiedemann (1953)
- Luise Heyer as Doris Tiedemann (1953)
- Antje Traue as Agnes Nielsen (1953)
- Arnd Klawitter as H.G. Tannhaus (1953)
- Florian Panzner as Daniel Kahnwald (1953)
- Michael Mendl as Bernd Doppler (1986)
- Béla Gabor Lenz as Aleksander Tiedemann (1986)
- Lea van Acken as Silja Tiedemann (2053)
|1||"Secrets"||Baran bo Odar||Jantje Friese & Baran bo Odar|
|2||"Lies"||Jantje Friese & Ronny Schalk|
|3||"Past and Present"||Jantje Friese & Marc O. Seng|
|4||"Double Lives"||Martin Behnke & Jantje Friese|
|5||"Truths"||Martin Behnke & Jantje Friese|
|6||"Sic Mundus Creatus Est"||Jantje Friese & Ronny Schalk|
|7||"Crossroads"||Jantje Friese & Marc O. Seng|
|8||"As You Sow, so You Shall Reap"||Martin Behnke & Jantje Friese|
|9||"Everything Is Now"||Jantje Friese & Marc O. Seng|
|10||"Alpha and Omega"||Jantje Friese & Ronny Schalk|
- Netflix greenlit the series for a single season consisting of 10 episodes on February 24, 2016.
- Principal photography began on October 18, 2016 and ended during March of 2017 in Berlin and the surrounding area.
- "Netflix Confirms First German Series 'Dark' From Baran bo Odar" Hollywood Reporter. February 24, 2016.
- "DARK, THE FIRST NETFLIX ORIGINAL SERIES PRODUCED IN GERMANY COMMENCES PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY" Netflix Media. October 18, 2016.