When a grim discovery leaves the police baffled, Ulrich seeks a search warrant for the power plant. A mysterious stranger checks into the hotel.
Jonas continues to have disturbing visions and dreams, and Mikkel's disappearance brings back difficult past memories for his family. In 1986, when Ulrich was 15, his younger brother Mads, vanished and Ulrich, who initially thought Eric was a runaway, now believes the disappearances of Erik, Mikkel and the body of the third boy are all related. He searches the mysterious cave and finds a locked door that seemingly leads to the nearby nuclear power plant.
The coroner informs Ulrich's partner, Charlotte Doppler, that the dead boy's ears were disfigured by some sort of extreme pressure which destroyed his awareness and orientation. Apparently, the boy had been dead only 16 hours, but he was also dressed in clothes from the 1980s. In his pockets he had a Walkman and 1986 Pfennig coin on him, and red dirt that was not found in the same forest that the body had been found in.
A mysterious hooded figure with a dirty face checks into the hotel owned by Bartosz' mother, Regina, Meanwhile, Hannah goes to the police station to talk to Ulrich, but he tells her he can’t be with her right now.
Jana Nielsen, Ulrich’s mother, asks her husband, Tronte, where he was in the middle of the night (during the time Mikkel had disappeared) and he claimed that he had to go to the store. She later lies to Ulrich and claims Tronte was there with her.
The power plant chief Aleksander Tiedemann refuses to allow Ulrich entrance to the property, citing security regulations, once Ulrich becomes suspicious of Erik’s father, Jurgen, who works as a part-time shuttle driver for the plant. He breaks into Jurgen’s shed and discovers a stash of drugs that Jurgen eventually admits selling alongside his son at the nearby high school.
An unseen figure drags the body of a man with red hair out into the woods. Nearby, the lights flicker on and off in town, and birds suddenly start to fall dead from the sky, and seems to be especially disturbing for Charlotte. Jumping back to 1986, a disoriented Mikkel, dirtied and covered in blood, wakes up with a shock on the floor of the cave and runs to where he thinks is home. There he finds a young Ulrich, in his teens, who promptly shrugs him off and tells Mikkel to get lost when he claims to live at the same address. Ulrich then leaves for school with his girlfriend Katharina. Glancing down at the street, Mikkel sees a newspaper with the headline date reading 5 November 1986.
- Andreas Pietschmann as The Stranger
- Louis Hofmann as Jonas Kahnwald
- Karoline Eichorn as Charlotte Doppler
- Oliver Masucci as Ulrich Nielsen
- Gina Alice Stiebitz as Franziska Doppler
- Moritz Jahn as Magnus Nielsen
- Stephan Kampwirth as Peter Doppler
- Walter Kreye as Tronte Nielsen
- Tatja Seibt as Jana Nielsen
- Lisa Vicari as Martha Nielsen
- Jördis Triebel as Katharina Nielsen
- Paul Lux as Bartosz Tiedemann
- Peter Benedict as Aleksander Tiedemann
- Deborah Kaufmann as Regina Tiedemann
- Christian Steyer as H.G. Tannhaus 1986
- Maja Schöne as Hannah Kahnwald
- Daan Lennard Liebrenz as Mikkel Nielsen
- Ludger Bökelmann as Ulrich Nielsen 1986
- Nele Trebs as Katharina Nielsen 1986
- Sebastian Rudolph as Michael Kahnwald
- Anna König as Pathologist Edda Heimann
- Nieke Schymura as Police Officer Jankowski
- Leopold Hornung as Torben Wöller
- Tom Jahn as Jürgen Obendorf
- Cornelia Lippert as Search Party Woman
- Paul Radom as Erik Obendorf