In 2019, Jonas emerges from the cave into a strange but familiar world: the town of Winden, reeling from the recent disappearance of a young boy.
"Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills."
A montage of photos of the 4 families is shown with the words: "If we knew how things would end, where our journey would take us, would we still make the same decisions? Or would we choose a different path? Could we even escape our fate? Or would what is deep within us lead us to the same end, like an invisible hand? Does it matter which path we choose if we end up facing ourselves again and again?"
A man with a cleft lip scar walks up to a painting in Adam's now dilapidated study and picks up dusty papers lying on the floor with blueprints for the time machine. A child and an old man who also have cleft lip scars walk in and each throw their lanterns and burn the place down.
We return to the apocalypse. Other world Martha places an orb on the ground and takes them to the caves. Jonas demands to know who the mysterious Martha is, and she tells him it's the day it all began - when they first met each other. Martha tells him that her world and his world form a knot that is inextricably intertwined. She places the orb on the ground again and tells Jonas she will make everything right, before disappearing. This leaves Jonas confused.
November 4, 2019 (Alternate Reality) Edit
Martha wakes up, shaken by her dream, panting. She gets dressed and goes down to breakfast. Mikkel is playing a video game, which Katharina tells him to put away. Martha asks Katharina what's wrong with him and Katharina tells her he's been having the same nightmares. Martha tells Mikkel that maybe it wasn't a dream, maybe the dream is the here and now and none of them are real. Mikkel laughs sarcastically, as the lights in the house start flickering. Katharina takes his video game away.
Katharina asks her if Magnus is awake yet, but he is still in his bedroom, having sex with Franziska. Katharina calls out to him to come down or she will come up. Magnus covers Franziska's mouth and yells that he will be there in a second. He kisses Franziska, and she leaves the house by climbing out the window (of the other world Kahnwald home), as Magnus heads down for breakfast. Katharina offers them rides to school, but they decide to go on their own. She reminds Martha that the next day they will be staying with their father. Martha is annoyed by this and heads off for school.
At the Nielsen home, Ulrich walks in on a sleeping Hannah. He strokes her and she tells him she was awake half the night. Ulrich tells her he is late due to a long line at the bakery and jokes that the apocalypse is nigh. Hannah asks him to stay, but he says he is already late. He tells her they will see each other that evening. Hannah stands up, revealing that she is pregnant. She tells him she loves him. Ulrich answers that she is beautiful.
Martha rides on her bike through the woods, wearing a yellow jacket (like the one Jonas has). She sees a poster that says Erik Obendorf is missing. Jonas emerges from the caves and looks around, appearing confused. When she arrives at school she meets Magnus, who tells her he won the race to get there first. They argue. Bartosz arrives and Martha asks him if he has seen Kilian, to which he responds no.
Kilian arrives, Martha is pleased to see him, and they hug and kiss. Bartosz asks him whether there is any news about Erik, but Kilian says there is none. They hear an announcement on the school's PA in which Katharina summons all students to an assembly in the gymnasium. Magnus points out that it could be relating to his brother, and Kilian replies that Erik had never left home for two weeks, that when things got complicated he would send a message, but this time they had not received anything. They head to the gymnasium.
An elderly Helge Doppler with his left eye destroyed mutters "it will happen again" repeatedly while holding a coin, as Peter looks at him. Charlotte walks in, and Peter tells her he has been saying that all morning. He asks Charlotte how the doctor's appointment had been, and she says it was just routine, and leaves. Helge starts saying "Tick tock", visibly agitated.
Jonas walks to his home. He notices a Nielsen family picture on the wall, with Ulrich cut out. This astonishes him. He walks into his bedroom and is surprised to see a picture of Martha with Kilian and Bartosz.
At the police station, Ulrich addresses all the officers that Erik Obendorf has been missing for nearly two weeks. Torben is present, with both eyes intact, but missing his left arm. When Ulrich asks for ideas, Charlotte mentions they have not received the shift schedules from the power plant yet. Ulrich nods and asks her to check with Tiedemann.
Hannah discovers a hair on Ulrich's jacket (as Katharina did in season 1).
At school, Bartosz explains how black holes form, but is interrupted when Jonas walks into the classroom. The teacher asks who he is, and he introduces himself, but the teacher says he was not informed of any new students. Jonas sits down at a desk, as Bartosz continues with his explanation. Jonas stares at Martha, who looks back at him.
Charlotte talks to Aleksander, and tries to get him to give her the schedules his employees had the night of Erik's disappearance. Aleksander asks if she has a court order, but Charlotte says she does not. Aleksander tells her he will have the schedules sent to her. Charlotte asks how he has been, and Aleksander replies he is alright. She gets up to start leaving but turns around to ask him if he thought it was possible for Erik to have made his way onto the grounds. Aleksander responds that this is impossible because the access points were sealed years ago.
Hannah walks into the high school, and approaches Katharina. Hannah says she wanted to see her, and says she knows that she and the kids were a part of Ulrich and she won't stand in the way of that. "That's very generous of you," Katharina responds icily. Hannah asks her if Ulrich stopped by that morning. "No," she respond with a smiles.
When the school bell rings, Jonas walks up to Martha, who asks him what he wants. Jonas says she hasn't told him why he is here. Martha is confused and asks him who he is. Jonas cannot believe she does not know him. The teacher asks him if he is okay, and Jonas asks him for the date, learning it is November 4, 2019. He walks out and sees Hannah in the hallway. They stare at each other. He says "mom" to her. Hannah is confused, but Jonas realizes she does not know him.
Charlotte returns to the police station, where she is called by Ulrich. Ulrich takes her into a room and kisses her. She tells him they have to stop doing this. Woller disturbs them, with the findings of the tire treads.
At the school, Martha is rehearsing for the school play with Kilian. Jonas walks in. As Kilian leaves, he tells Martha to meet him at nine o'clock later that evening. Jonas walks up to her again, and she tells him to go away. Jonas desperately grabs her to try to tell her it is November 4 and mentions Mikkel and Michael, Hannah's husband. She tells her Hannah's husband is her father- Ulrich- and tells him to go away.
Magnus walks into the bunker, where Franziska is waiting. They kiss and begin having sex. They pause for a moment, and Magnus tells her he loves her, to which Franziska responds the same in sign language.Elisabeth comes home. Helge is still saying "it will happen again" repeatedly. She calls for her parents, using her voice. Worried, she asks her grandfather if he is alright, and he suddenly grabs her and tells her the beginning is the end and the end is the beginning.
Jonas walks to the graveyard, and sees the grave of Regina Tiedemann, who died 2 months earlier. He is approached by Peter, who is now dressed as a priest. Jonas asks him whether Michael Kahnwald is buried there. He says the only Kahnwald buried there is Daniel, who died in 1964. Jonas wonders whether that is why he is there, so it doesn't happen. The priest says he has a feeling he has seen Jonas before, as Jonas leaves.
September 21, 1987 (First world) Edit
The three men with facial scars (seen at the start of the episode), approach the Doppler mansion. The boy enters and asks Bernd for the master key to the power plant. Bernd picks up the phone to call the police as the younger man enters, disconnecting the phone. He tells Bernd nothing is in vain and strangles him with a wire.
November 4, 2019 (alternate world) Edit
At night, Aleksander meets with Jürgen Obendorf, who tells him the police came by that day. Aleksander tells him that he knows what he has to do, and gives him an envelope with money.
Martha, wearing a yellow jacket, rides to the bridge on her bicycle. She sees Jonas approaching and becomes afraid. Jonas tells her he does not want to scare her, and tells her they know each other in another time. Jonas tells her she has seen this before - the light, trees, and him. She is having deja-vu or a "glitch in the matrix". Jonas thinks he knows why he is there: so he can change everything. Martha is confused. The others arrive. Jonas asks Magnus where Mikkel is, why he didn't bring him, due to the babysitter being sick. Magnus asks him how he knows Mikkel, says he is old enough to look after himself and tells Jonas to get lost.
At the police station, Ulrich tells Charlotte he is going to the parents' meeting and offers her a ride, which she accepts. Hannah gets home and smells Ulrich's jacket, on which she had found a hair earlier.
In the forest, the teenagers walk as Kilian asks Martha why Jonas acted as if he knew her. Martha says he does not. Bartosz mentions that Nostradamus predicted that the world would end that year. Magnus says that is ridiculous. Kilian says he is hoping to find Erik, who sometimes spent the night there--the police could have missed something.
Magnus asks the group if they know the story of the cave monster. They then hear loud noises. Their flashlights start flickering, and they all run away. Martha falls and gets separated from the group. She hears a voice calling her. She sees a woman covered in oil (like Jonas saw Michael) and runs away.
All over Winden, lights start flickering, leaving everybody in shock. Martha keeps running until she finds Kilian and takes his hand. They run into the bunker, while Jonas walks into Mikkel's room and finds him asleep. (Dismayed to see he did not travel back to 1986.)
In the bunker, Bartosz asks if everything is over. Then a wormhole opens and a dead boy drops from the roof. Martha checks his identity: Mads Nielsen, born 1973.
Jonas walks away from what was his home and sees an old woman with a scar under her eye, who tells him she has waited for him to come back for a long time. She tells him Mikkel did not travel back, he would not become his father, and that he would never be born. She then asks him if that was not what he wanted. Despite that, this world without him will still fall apart because of him and her. Jonas wonders if the elderly woman is Martha.
September 21, 1888 (First world) Edit
Martha who has a scar under her eye enters a building marked Tannhaus. A machine is letting off electricity, operated by a man at a desk: The Stranger, who is shocked to see her. He tearfully approaches her, amazed she is alive. She tells him she is not (his) Martha. She came to help him find the origin of everything, in his world and hers.
- Helge: The beginning is the end. The end is the beginning.
- The French phrase *déjà vu*, translated literally, means "already seen." In English, it refers to a feeling that one already experienced the current situation at a previous time.
- Several characters have reported having a déjà vu moment in previous episodes.
- Martha on the lights and the forest meeting Jonas on the night of Mikkels' disappearance, and when the Stranger lets her into the Kahnwald family home.
- Charlotte, reflecting on the 33-year cycle and the feeling everything was repeating.
- Michael, on seeing Jonas' yellow raincoat.
- Egon, when Claudia tells him he is too good a person.
- Hannah, when she sees Mikkel on the day of Michael's suicide.
- Martha and Jonas discuss *déjà vu* as representing "a glitch in the Matrix," referring to the 1999 American film The Matrix, in which conscious existence is revealed to be a computer-generated simulation (the titular Matrix).
- This episode mostly returns to where the series began: November 4, 2019. But this is a different world. This is the world without Jonas that Claudia previously referred to (An Endless Cycle), The babysitter did not get sick, Magnus did not bring Mikkel to the cave and he, therefore, did not travel back to 1986 or marry Hannah, and Jonas was not born. No one recognizes him. Michael Kahnwald does not exist.
- Katharina and her children now live in what was the Kahnwald home. But everything is a mirror image of the other world: Martha's bed is on the opposite wall, the stairs run the other way. Mikkel will continue to grow up there but in 2019, not 1986. Ulrich has left her and is now married to Hannah, who is pregnant and living in his house.
- Martha wakes up panting, as frequently seen previously with Jonas, Mikkel and herself. She now has Jonas' room. Her boyfriend is now Killian Oberndorf, the missing Erik's brother. She wears the same yellow jacket Jonas wore.
- Mikkel has nightmares in both worlds, even though the Mikkel in this world did not travel back in time.
- Magnus now has dark hair and tattoos.
- Franziska climbs out of the window, as Ulrich did in Secrets.
- Ulrich tells Hannah he is late due to a long line at the bakery (as he told Katharina in Secrets.) She tells him she loves him. He responds (as he did in Season 1) that she is beautiful. Ulrich is now having an affair with Charlotte. He is now the police chief and she an ordinary officer.
- Woller now has an arm missing instead of an eye.
- Franziska is now deaf and mute instead of Elisabeth.
- Helge in this world has his left eye destroyed, while in the other world it was his ear. He is living with his son, rather than at a nursing home.
- Aleksander has a beard in this world. He is also a lot more co-operative here.
- Regina has died 2 months earlier.
- A light flashes on the bunker wall and a dead Mads drops from the roof, as occurred to Peter and Tronte.
- Winden in the other world had constant rain. In this world, there is constant fog.
- There appear to be several Martha's in this episode- one has no scar and is in school in the alternate world and does not recognize Jonas. Another has a scar under her eye but this seems to change as she travels. She takes teenage Jonas to her world, then leaves him and travels back to 1888 to see The Stranger/Jonas. Is the old lady who Jonas meets later- who also has a scar- another version of Martha?
- Jonas does not seem to understand he has been taken to an alternate world.
- The Stranger is as shocked to see Martha as Jonas was.
- Another 33-year timeline is added: 1888 (33 years before the previous earliest timeline 1921- The Travelers). How did The Stranger come here?
- The lights flicker, signifying time travel. In the first world, Mikkel travels to 1986. In this world, a dead Mads travels from 1986 to 2019, presumably to complicate the investigation into Erik's disappearance.
- Who are the three men with cleft lip scars who burn down Adam's study and why do they want the key to the power plant?
- Hans Diehl as old unknown
- Jakob Diehl as adult unknown
- Claude Heinrich as young unknown
- Louis Hofmann as the teenage Jonas Kahnwald
- Lisa Vicari as Martha Nielsen
- Daan Lennard Liebrenz as Mikkel Nielsen
- Jördis Triebel as adult Katharina Nielsen
- Moritz Jahn as Magnus Nielsen
- Gina Alice Stiebitz as Franziska Doppler
- Oliver Masucci as adult Ulrich Nielsen
- Maja Schöne as Hannah Kahnwald
- Paul Lux as Bartosz Tiedemann
- Sammy Scheuritzel as Kilian Obendorf
- Herman Beyer as old Helge Doppler
- Stephan Kampwirth as Peter Doppler
- Karoline Eichorn as Charlotte Doppler
- Leopold Hornung as Torben Wöller
- Peter Benedict as Aleksander Tiedemann
- Carlotta von Falkenhayn as the childhood Elisabeth Doppler (2020)
- Michael Mendl as old Bernd Doppler
- Barbara Nüse as Eva
- Andreas Pietschmann as stranger
- Mieke Schymura as police officer Jankowski
- Nils Brunkhorst as teacher
- Natascha Paulick as drama teacher
- Tom Jahn as Jürgen Obendorf
- → See 74 images from Deja-vu at Images from Deja-vu.