The Day of Mikkel's Disappearance (November 4, 2019) Edit
During the showery night, the hesitant Peter Doppler drives drives to Bernadette's trailer, where she was already standing at the entrance. He then changes his mind and drives off. He stops at the Doppler cabin, and sits in the bunker. He slaps himself out of guilt and recited the Serenity Prayer. Suddenly, a horizontal rift in time and space materializes at the centre of the bunker, facing downwards. Peter is dumbfounded, and then the rift spits out a motionless boy with charred eyes wearing 1980's clothes. The rift disappears, and Peter is completely taken aback by this scene. He attempted CPR but realized the boy was dead. He found his school ID on him- Mads Nielsen, dated 28 October 1986. At the brink of tears, he calls Tronte Nielsen to come, stating that there is a situation related to Mads. This prompted Tronte to rush towards the bunker, where he kneels over the body, sobbing in disbelief, seeing his son's body after 33 years. Someone's footsteps descend the stairs, and the person is Old Claudia Tiedemann, whom Tronte was able to recognize. She assures that she will explain everything, but first they need to move Mads to where he was meant to be found.
November 12, 2019Edit
In his room, Jonas Kahnwald feels a hand on his shoulder. He turns sideways and sees Mikkel Nielsen lying in bed next to him, smiling. It turns out to be a nightmare, as he wakes up panting. He grabs his pills, but before taking them, he tosses them in the trash bin, believing that they're just placeboes. He eyes the orb light and the Geiger counter. Meanwhile, Martha Nielsen is weeping in her room, and Bartosz Tiedemann. She apologises to him and says that she hasn't been able to recognize herself since Mikkel disappeared. Bartosz tells her it doesn't matter and hugs her.
Charlotte Doppler visits the nursing home. Nurse Clara Schrage brings her to Helge Doppler's room, where he hasn't returned yet. Clara adds that he has never been missing for this long before. She asks if Ulrich Nielsen has been by again, but the nurse says no.
November 12, 1986 Edit
Helge wakes up in an elevated watchtower and stares into the open field.
November 12, 2019 Edit
Jonas visits his adoptive grandmother, Ines Kahnwald in her apartment. He asks her if she knew Michael's (Mikkel) secret, she remains silent, indicating that she did. Ines decides to give out Michael's letter to Jonas, since it was addressed to him. He was shocked, because he burned the letter. Jonas asks how long has she known, so Ines told him a brief story of how she first met Michael, thinking he had a troubled past and an overactive imagination. Jonas then quizzes that if she did know all along, then why didn't she stop it.
He is in distraught, crying out that now he knows his true relatives are people that were close to him, the Nielsen family. He tearfully tells her that there's nothing wrong with them, and only he is the anomaly. Ines tells him that she believes that scenarios, even the strangest ones, happen for a reason. Now that Jonas exists, who knows what the future will bring. He wails that he just want things to be normal.
November 12, 1986 Edit
Mikkel is showing Ines 1986 a magic trick that involved teleporting a sugar cube from one cup to another. He says that all Houdini dreamed of was to become a magician. Mikkel says that he has the same dream, but the magic he wants to do is impossible, which is to "wake up". Ines 1986 asks him about Master Zhuang's paradox. One day, she dreamt she was a butterfly, and woke up confused if she's still a person who dreamed she was a butterfly, or if she's a butterfly who's dreaming. She asks Mikkel what he would think he was, to which he responds both. He removes the cups, revealing a second sugar cube.
November 12, 1953Edit
Ulrich Nielsen is in the custody of the Winden Police. As his mugshot is taken, Officer Egon Tiedemann 1953 introduces himself and asks Ulrich for his name, to which he ignores. He laughs at the recognition of his old nemesis, quoting a lyric from Kreator's "Pleasure to kill", the song that Egon 1986 despised: "My only aim is to take many lives, the more, the better I feel.". Egon 1953 asks him whether he is a satanist, to which Ulrich replies that he's an officer–an unbelievable statement. Ulrich menacingly tells him that the quote is from an 80s song he would dislike. Egon 1953 questions as to why he killed the children, but Ulrich denies and declared that he wanted to save them. Next, he asks what he did to Helge 1953, and Ulrich expresses the realization that he's still alive, or else the children wouldn't be dead. He pleads the officers to let him go do that he can change it, but they ignored his words. The other officers proceed to drag him to the cell, as Ulrich yells taunts at Egon 1953, asking whether he has started drinking yet or will that happen after his wife leaves him. They handcuff him to the bed and close the door.
November 12, 2019Edit
He goes to school on a rainy day, noticing a frustrated Bartosz by the entrance. He tells him how he waited for him on Thursday (November 7). He reminds him of how he covered for him, not telling anyone he was in therapy. Jonas apologises, but Bartosz tells him that Martha told him he kissed her. Jonas tries to explain but Bartosz gets too furious and shoves him to the ground, saying he is just like his father, at which Jonas lunges at him, and they wrestle on the ground. Martha exits the school and sees them, so she yells at them to stop. Bartosz shouts at Jonas to never come back there. Jonas walks away, his lip bleeding.
November 12, 1986Edit
The Stranger returns to the clockmaker's shop and notices that H.G. Tannhaus 1986 has repaired his portable time machine. Tannhaus shows him he has two machines: the one The Stranger brought is how the device looks in the future, and the one he built many years earlier. He revealed that he needed to inspect the older version to complete the younger version; observing the beginning and end of something at the same time to understand the origin. He takes out Ulrich's smartphone from his drawer and relocates it around the machine, prompting beeping noises and cylinders of gears to protrude. Tannhaus 1986 demonstrates that the smartphone from the future sends a signal to the machine of the past to intensify the the latter's power; the future really influences the past. The Stranger takes out a vile which he reveals contains Cs-137, an isotope of Cesium that was the toxic waste of the incident–he stole it in November 11, 2019. As Tannhaus 1986 openly calculates how a wormhole is formed through these reactants, The Stranger installs the vile into the container of the youngest version of the machine and packs it. The Stranger asks him as to why he decided to help him, and he proceeds to recount. Tannhaus 1986 unfolds questions about why he even did it–whether he was following the forces of the cause-and-effect cycle, or if he did it out of instinct. He suggests that this moment was what his life was leading to, and that he's part of a puzzle one can neither understand nor influence. Before The Stranger left with his briefcase, Tannhaus 1986 asks what the future is like, but he says that he hopes by the next day, everything will be different.
November 12, 2019 Edit
Charlotte is in her car, still outside the nursing home. She calls Peter to ask him about his father being kidnapped as a child. Peter was driving and when he wanted to tell her something (his discovery from almost 9 days ago), she disregards it and asks again; he replies that it was the fall of 1953, exactly 66 years ago, 33 time 2. She declares "It's all connected.". When he attempts to speak again, she politely hangs up and drives off.
November 12, 1986 Edit
Helge 1986 arrives back home to see someone sitting by his porch. It was Old Helge, who tells him that he has to stop. Helge 1986 pretends not to know what he means. The old man continues that everything Noah says is a lie. When his younger self attempts to act again, Helge takes off his beanie to reveal his disfigured ear, signifying his true identity. He affirms that Noah's words are false and that he's evil, much to Helge 1986's shock. He hugs the distressed man, pleading him not to make the same mistakes he made, but Helge 1986 abruptly pushes him and runs back to his car. Helge yells his warnings when his younger self drove off, but after a moment of thought, he says "I have to stop.".
November 12, 2019 Edit
At home, Jonas goes to the attic to take a look at the horizontal wooden pole in the ceiling where Michael hung his suicide noose at, ultimately deciding to bring Mikkel back, even though it will erase his existence. When he goes downstairs, Hannah notices his cuts. He explains that he got into a recent fight, but it doesn't matter who he fought. He hugs her, assuring her that "everything will be fine". He exited the house, leaving Hannah puzzled.
In the bunker, Tronte is sitting with Peter. The latter voices that Charlotte asked about the cabin and Helge, as well as what happened in 1953. Tronte expresses that in a few hours, "it'll all be over", and Mads would live. Peter, however, was visibly doubtful and anxious, asking if he really believes Claudia. Tronte assertively replies that everything she and the triquetra notebook predicted has happened in the last 8 days. Peter hastily questions as to why the last pages were torn out, and what happens after today. Tronte says that after today, everything will be new.
Katharina returns home and rests her head on Martha's shoulder in the living room. Hannah smokes in the dining room. A dead eyed Jonas enters the cave, and then through the passage.
November 12, 1986Edit
The disturbed Helge 1986 stands outside the church with Noah. He asks the priest if there were to be no God, then why would people believe in a lie. Noah explains that people prefer a lie to numb any pain. He then tells the story of when he was a young boy, a man with a suicidal expression came to him and his family, intending to rent a room to stay in. He slept next to Noah's room, and during the nights, he would talk in his sleep, but Noah couldn't hear them properly back then. One night, Noah saw him sleepwalking in the hallway with wide open eyes, saying "Nothing is in vain. Not a single breath, not a single step, not a single word. Not pain. An eternal miracle of the One.". Noah continues that he only understood that pain years later, and that the horrible experiences of everyone's lives aren't in vain, because those memories shape who they are and what they do. He grabs Helge 1986, averring that his pain made him who he is, but it no longer has power over him. After reconsidering his dubiety, Helge 1986 asks as to who is next. Noah checks his triquetra notebook, and says "Jonas Kahnwald". Meanwhile, Jonas exits the caves and puts on his hood.
Caseworker Selma Ahrens comes to the hospital to pick up Mikkel, who is sitting on the bed, dressed and ready to be discharged to the children's home, but the boy refuses. Ines brings Selma outside the room, declaring that she wants to adopt him. Selma says that it's a complicated process, but Ines responds that she is the only person that he lets close to him, and that they have grown an attachment.
Charlotte 1986 sketches dead birds in the forest, until Jonas goes up to her and asks for the date, much to the oddity. After answering, Charlotte asks as to what he is doing here. He replies that he is bringing someone back from the dead. She then asks if he can bring the dead birds back to life, and he says that you have to find them when they were younger. She states that they wouldn't be dead yet, but Jonas says that it doesn't change the fact that they're going to die. She calls him crazy, and Jonas admits he might be.
November 12, 2019 Edit
At the police station's files storage, Charlotte reviews microfilm of 1953 newspaper articles about 9-year-old Helge Doppler's kidnapping. She clicks to Page 5, where the headline says "Is This Man a Child Murderer?". She is astounded and taken aback by the sight of the suspect in the mugshot being Ulrich.
November 12, 1953 Edit
Egon 1953, Daniel Kahnwald, and a group of officers visit Ulrich's cell to intimidate him. Ulrich begs them to let him go so that he can find his son, but Daniel didn't listen and furiously questions him on Helge 1953's whereabouts. When Ulrich didn't talk, the officers proceed to beat him with their batons.
November 12, 1986 Edit
It was nighttime, Jonas was walking down the dim lit corridor of the hospital, reaching Mikkel's room. Inside, he sees Noah reading the sleeping boy a bedtime story. He asks who he is, but Noah shushes him. Suddenly, Helge 1986 appears from behind the door, covers his face with an oiled towel, and Jonas faints from the scent.
He wakes up in the brightly lit bunker, noticing the electric chair at the centre. The door slot opens up and reveals The Stranger, saying that he doesn't need to be afraid. Jonas goes to the slot, banging on the metal door, accusing The Stranger of kidnapping him. The stranger clarifies that it was Noah, much to Jonas' confusion. The Stranger explains that he's going to be used as a guinea pig for a prototype time machine. Jonas begs for him to release him, but The Stranger says that "it's the only way for things to be normal again". Jonas asks him as to who he is, but the latter responds "Don't you know?". He tells him that the reason why the letter exists is because he will carry that letter for 33 years before he passes it on to himself. A dramatic silence, and The Stranger leans in to say "I am you"–he is the grown-up Jonas Kahnwald.
He continues that everything that he is experiencing, he has already experienced. He burned the letter just like he did, but got it back from their grandmother. He already had this conversation but was on the other side then. He establishes everyone thinks their free, but they aren't, since their own younger selves would follow the same path again and again. Jonas was in tears, yelling that this is all crazy. The Stranger admits that for a long time, he thought that this was crazy, but if he lets him out, then he wouldn't become who he is now, and thus, he won't be able to destroy the hole. He asks Jonas as to why he kissed Martha, and adds that people are not free in what they do because they are not free in what they want. Jonas tearfully begs him to stop, and bangs the metal door, wailing that he wants all of this to stop. The Stranger assures him that he wants the same thing, but their father is just a "small part of a sprawling sickness". He apologises and closes the slot, leaving Jonas to cry.
Helge 1986 drives in the T-intersection during the rain, stopping at a red traffic light. He focuses his mind on the song that's encouraging listeners to look forward to the future. When he continues his path, another car comes out and crashes into Helge 1986's from his left side. The car was dent, the windows were shattered, and Helge 1986's face was streaked with his own blood. He limps out of the car and struggles his way to the other, in order to find out who the driver is. He is startled to realise that it was Helge, his older self, dead in the driver's seat.
November 12, 2019 Edit
Charlotte hangs a newspaper clipping for Helge 1986's car crash on the board of the evidence-discussion room. Meanwhile, Bartosz meets up with Noah again in his car.
Noah tells Bartosz that everything is about to begin. Noah says that the older Jonas (The Stranger) will attempt to destroy the wormhole but doesn't realise that in the process, he will be the one to "trigger its existence". He claims that Claudia lied to The Stranger; as in he is just a pawn in the war to control time travel. He continues that there are two forces fighting to control time travel- light and shadow. He professes that he and his followers belong to the light; they must make every certain step in the time loop is repeated exactly as it was before. He states that Claudia is "inhumane" and "belongs to the shadow", and The Stranger is her puppet. Jonas would grow up to follow that same path. He hands Bartosz his triquetra notebook and says he must be strong, to free humanity from its immaturity and pain. Bartosz answers willingly. Noah checks his watch ands says "It's time.".
November 12, 1986 Edit
(Noah's monologue narrates through multiple scenes). The Stranger enters the caves, armed with his new time machine and orb light. In the scene of the car crash, a bandaged Helge 1986 is carried onto an ambulance. Helge corpse is being zipped up, as Egon 1986 observes. Claudia 1986 reads A Journey Through Time in her car.
The closing of the passage Edit
The Stranger crawls through the caves, opens the door (greeted with the usual strong wind), and enters the wormhole intersection. At the centre, he activates the device using the Ulrich's handphone. Gears start turning and lightning starts being produced from the base. The Stranger sits down and notices a hallucination of his father covered in a black liquid. A basin of dark matter is being formed from inches above.
In 1986, the adoption process is complete. Ines 1986 legally changed Mikkel's name to "Michael Kahnwald". They arrive at the Kahnwald family home, and Mikkel starts crying tears of joy. The two hug each other and begin their new lives. In 2019, Charlotte meets up with Peter in the bunker. Katharina, sitting in Mikkel's room as usual, tries to call Ulrich.
Lights start flickering and the ground starts rumbling in all 3 periods. In 1953, a battered Ulrich sits in his cell as the lamp blinks. Tannhaus 1953 was working on the device as the lights flickered around him, much to his concern. He feels the ground rumbling, as scrolls fell from the shelves. Bernd 1953 and Greta Doppler 1953 notice the lights flickering in their parlour as they sit together. Agnes Nielsen and Doris Tiedemann have a toast of drinks in the dining table as they notice the lights flickering. They hold hands in this paranormal scenario. In 1986, Claudia 1986 notices the blinkers' flickering. In 2019, Katharina sees the solar system model lights flickering. Charlotte and Peter hug each other at the sight of the flickering lights in the bunker. Hannah nonchalantly sits in her dining chair as the light in the house flickered. She aims her gun across the table, as if she were about to shoot someone. Tronte and Jana Nielsen embrace each other in this paranormal situation of the shaking apartment. Glitches start to occur as well. Magnus Nielsen and Franziska Doppler are in the living room watching TV, as a Raider commercial from 1986 plays onscreen. Aleksander and Regina Tiedemann exits the car (with flickering blinkers) and takes a gaping sight of a massive basin of dark matter looming above the forest, slowly closing the cave wormhole. Elsewhen, in the forest, Claudia has a shotgun on her jacket. She raises her hands upwards to the level of her chest, feeling the air snowing with chemical ashes.
In 1953, a bloodied Helge 1953 crouches in the bunker with fear, grasping the phennig coin necklace. In 1986, Jonas is in the bunker, now a decorated torture room. The ground rumbles in both years, and a vertical portal suddenly materializes in the centre of the bunker, between 1953 and 1986. The two of them can see each other. Jonas and Helge 1953 reach out their fingers to touch each other. As they do so, they were transported to different years.
November 13, 1986 Edit
Helge 1953 wakes up on the blue carpeting. He surveys the room that he was in, the bunker. He spots the chair in the centre, and touches the metal headpiece.
Jonas wakes up by sprouting his torso upwards, panting. He was still in the bunker, but the wallpaper is missing and the room was dim. There were stacks of shotguns, survival equipment, and hanging items. Behind him was the string wall, where his photo is connected to The Stranger's by red string. He goes outside, where the sky is gloomy and it's snowing ashes. The T-intersection has become a contaminated war zone, where trucks were dumped, signs saying "Caution, Radiation, Restricted area" were placed, flaming barrels were standing, and a set of barbed wires were lined. The Nuclear Plant from the distance is visibly in ruins. Jonas walks through until a truck full of face masked soldiers approach him, forcing him to go on his knees and raise his hands. A teenage female soldier stands tall in front of him, and the other men surround him, aiming their rifles. He asks as to what year it is, and a futuristic drone-plane that flies overhead. It was 2052, 33 years ahead of 2019, the future. The Girl from the future says "Welcome to the future" and shoves her rifle to his face, knocking him out.
- Stephan Kampwirth as Peter Doppler
- Valentin Oppermann as Mads Nielsen
- Walter Kreye as Tronte Nielsen
- Lisa Kreuzer as Claudia Tiedemann
- Louis Hofmann as Jonas Kahnwald
- Daan Lennard Liebrenz as Mikkel Nielsen
- Lisa Vicari as Martha Nielsen
- Paul Lux as Bartosz Tiedemann
- Karoline Eichhorn as Charlotte Doppler
- Hermann Beyer as Helge Doppler
- Angela Winkler as Ines Kahnwald
- Anne Ratte-Polle as Ines Kahnwald 1986
- Oliver Masucci as Ulrich Nielsen
- Sebastian Hülk as Egon Tiedemann 1953
- Christian Steyer as H.G. Tannhaus 1986
- Andreas Pietschmann as The Stranger
- Peter Schneider as Helge Doppler 1986
- Maja Schöne as Hannah Kahnwald
- Mark Waschke as Noah
- Jördis Triebel as Katharina Nielsen
- Stephanie Amarell as Charlotte Doppler 1986
- Christian Pätzold as Egon Tiedemann 1986
- Julika Jenkins as Claudia Tiedemann 1986
- Arnd Klawitter as H.G. Tannhaus 1953
- Anatole Taubman as Bernd Doppler 1953
- Cordelia Wege as Greta Doppler 1953
- Antje Traue as Agnes Nielsen
- Luise Heyer as Doris Tiedemann
- Tatja Seibt as Jana Nielsen
- Moritz Jahn as Magnus Nielsen
- Gina Alice Stiebitz as Franziska Doppler
- Peter Benedict as Aleksander Tiedemann
- Deborah Kaufmann as Regina Tiedemann
- Tom Philipp as Helge Doppler 1953
- Lea Van Acken as Girl from the future
- Martha: [In tears] I'm sorry. I really fucked up. Since Mikkel disappeared... I don't recognize myself anymore.
[Bartosz goes to her]
Bartosz: It doesn't matter, okay?
[Bartosz embraces Martha]
Bartosz: Everything's okay. Everything's okay.
- Jonas: Did you know?
Ines: Did I know what?
Jonas: The boy from the future.
[Ines takes a deep silent breath]
Jonas: You knew.
[Ines stands up to collect her wooden box from her drawer. She opens it to reveal the suicide letter]
Ines: This is for you.
[Jonas clutches it in his hands and stares at it, confused]
Jonas: [Bewildered] That's impossible.
Jonas: I burned it. How long have you known?
Ines: I've always known, really. When your father came to me, he was a disturbed little boy. I just thought he had an overactive imagination. That something bad must have happened to him, something he couldn't bear. He told me... he came from the future. I didn't believe him.
Jonas: If you knew... why didn't you stop it?
Ines: [Visibly regretful, slightly stuttering] I didn't know that he would take his own life.
Jonas: [Crying out] But you could have saved Mikkel! [Jonas smacks the table] Now I have another grandma and she's the principle of my school! Her husband, who's fucking my mom, is looking for his son, who's my father! A few days ago I kissed my aunt.
[Ines sits silent and solemn]
Jonas: And the crazy thing is... there's nothing wrong with any of them. They're okay. I'm what's wrong.
Ines: I think things... no matter how abnormal or strange they seem to us, happen for a reason. Who are we to play God? What's past is past. But you... live in the here and now. [She holds his hand] Who knows what the future will bring.
Jonas: I just want everything to go back to normal.
[Ines smiles at him]
- Mikkel: As a kid, all that Houdini dreamed of was becoming a magician.
[Mikkel places one of the two cups over a sugar cube, and turns the other upside down as well. He taps the top of both of them, and takes out the first cup, which was empty, but the second had the sugar cube. The impressed Ines 1986 smiles]
Ines 1986: Do you have the same dream?
Mikkel: Yes. But the magic I want to do is impossible.
Ines 1986: Which is what?
Mikkel: I just want to finally wake up.
Ines 1986: Have you heard of Master Zhuang's paradox?
[Mikkel shakes his head]
Ines 1986: I dreamt I was a butterfly. Now I've woken up and no longer know if I'm a person who dreamed he's a butterfly, or if I'm a butterfly who's dreaming it's a person. What are you? A person or a butterfly?
[A moment of thought later]
Mikkel: Maybe I'm both.
[He takes out both cups to reveal a second sugar cube, and the two of them smile at each other]
- [The Stranger enters the clockmaker's shop, where Tannhaus 1986 is fixing his time machine right next to the younger version]
The Stranger: You repaired it.
Tannhaus: [Pointing to The Stranger's] That one's yours. [Pointing to his own] And this one's mine. I built it many years ago. It's the same device, but in a different condition. You see. [He steps aside to allow The Stranger to see the two machines side by side] It's as if one could look at the beginning and end of something at the same time. Wait a moment. [Tannhaus 1986 takes out Ulrich's smartphone] This thing here it sends a kind of signal. [He turns on the phone] An electromagnetic impulse. As if it were trying to communicate with something. And look at this.
[Tannhaus 1986 twists a control knob. He moves the phone around the machine, prompting beeping noises and cylinders of gears to protrude].
Tannhaus 1986: This part has never moved. It was included in the blueprint, but I never knew what it was for. This thing communicates with the device.
[He moves the phone away]
Tannhaus 1986: It's not just the past that influences the future. The future also influences the past. You see. If you hadn't shown me what the device looks like in the future, I wouldn't have been able to build it. A paradox. [He points to both openings for the cylinder fuel storages] These openings didn't exist either.
[The cylinder protrudes]
Tannhaus 1986: I have no idea what their purpose is.
[The Stranger takes out a vile of fuel that he took from the yellow barrels in November 11, 2019] Tannhaus 1986: What's that?
The Stranger: [Placing the vile into the cylinder] Cs-137. A radioactive isotope of Cesium.
Tannhaus 1986: [Openly calculating] The device generates a Higgs field. It increases the mass of the Cesium, An electromagnetic impulse causes it to implode into a black hole. The same thing must have happened during the nuclear power plant incident.
[The Stranger has packed the newer machine in his suitcase and is preparing to depart]
The Stranger: Why did you decide to help me after all?
Tannhaus 1986: Why? [Sits down] That's a big word. Why do we decide for one thing and against another? But does it matter whether the decision is based upon the consequence of a series of causal links? Or whether it stems from an undefined feeling inside me? That perhaps everything in my life boils down to this one moment. That I'm part of a puzzle. One that I can neither understand nor influence.
[The Stranger sets forth to the exit]
Tannhaus 1986: Will you tell me what the future's like?
The Stranger: I'm hoping that by tomorrow, it'll already be different from today.
- Helge: You have to stop.
Helge 1986: [Acting] What do I have to stop?
Helge: He's using you. All of his promises are lies.
[The two men stand tall in front of each other]
Helge 1986: I think you're mistaking me for someone else.
Helge: I think you're mistaking me for someone else. [Takes off his beanie to reveal his scars] I've said that before. Everything Noah says is a lie. He's not the chosen one. You're not the chosen one. He doesn't want to save the world from evil. He is evil.
[Helge hugs his distressed younger self]
Helge: Today is the day. The beginning and the end. Don't make the same mistakes I made. Don't make the same mistakes I made.
[Helge 1986 abruptly pushes him and runs to his car]
Helge: You have to stop. [Proceeds to run after Helge 1986] You have to stop!
[Helge 1986 manages to drive off, leaving Helge to make a perilous decision]
Helge: I have to stop.
- Peter: Charlotte asked me about the cabin. About what happened in '53.
Tronte: A few more hours, and it'll be over. Mads will live.
Peter: [Doubtful and anxious] Do you believe her?
Tronte: Everything she said would happen has happened in the last eight days. [Points to a passage in the notebook] Just as it's written here.
Peter: Then why have half the pages been torn out? [Nervous] What happens after today?
Tronte: After today... everything will be new.
- Helge 1986: But if there is no God, then why do we believe in a lie?
Noah: Because we prefer any lie to the pain. Years ago, I was still a little boy. A stranger came to us. He looked as if he'd been in the war. Didn't talk much. There was this sadness in his eyes. The kind you sometimes see in those who want to die, but life won't let them. He took a room in our house. The bedroom right next to mine. And... sometimes I heard him talk in his sleep. Confused words. But one night, he was suddenly very clear. He stood in the hallway, his eyes wide open, and said... "Nothing is in vain. Not a single breath, not a single step, not a single word. Not pain. An eternal miracle of the One." I didn't understand any of his words. Only years later, when I felt the pain, did I understand what he meant. That none of the horrible things that befall us should be in vain. That they make us what we are. That they give us our strength.
[Noah grabs ahold of Helge 1986's head]
Noah: [Assertive] Your pain made you who you are, Helge. But it no longer has power over you.
- Jonas: What day is it today?
Charlotte 1986: The 12th.
Jonas: What year?
[Jonas was about to leave]
Charlotte 1986: '86. Are you from here?
[Jonas shakes his head]
Charlotte 1986: What are you doing here?
Jonas: Bringing someone back from the dead.
Charlotte 1986: How does that work?
Jonas: It's very hard to explain.
Charlotte 1986: [Eying the dead birds] Can you bring these back?
Jonas: No, you have to find them when they're younger.
Charlotte 1986: But then they're not dead yet.
Jonas: That doesn't change the fact that they will die.
Charlotte 1986: You're crazy.
[Jonas walks off]
- [Jonas wakes up in the decorative bunker, and is surprised by the sight of the electric chair in the centre. He hears footsteps outside, and the slot opens to reveal The Stranger]
The Stranger: There's no need to be afraid.
Jonas: [Running to the door and speaking through the slot] Hey! Hey! What's this suppose to be? What is this? Why did you lock me in here?
The Stranger: It wasn't me. It was Noah.
Jonas: Who's Noah? Where am I? What is this?
The Stranger: This is a kind of prototype of a time machine. You're the guinea pig. The passage in the cave lies directly under this bunker. If opened, the energy flows through this room. But it needs to be increased. No DeLorean. No hissing or steam. The first time machine is a bunker with four walls. But it still doesn't quite work.
Jonas: Let me out of here.
The Stranger: I can't. It's the only way for things to be normal again.
Jonas: Who are you?
The Stranger: You don't know?
[A brief pause]
The Stranger: The letter. You burned it. And yet it still exists. You'll carry that letter for almost 33 years before you pass it on. To yourself.
[A dramatic silence, and The Stranger leans forward]
The Stranger: I am you. My name is Jonas Kahnwald. I sent the letter to you. Or should I say, to me. Everything you're experiencing, I've already experienced.
[Jonas was visibly shocked and disturbed. The Stranger leans back]
The Stranger: I burned the letter, just like you. I got it back from our grandmother. I've already had this conversation. But I was on the other side then. We think we're free, but we're not. We follow the same old path. Again and Again.
Jonas: [Distraught and shouting] That's crazy! It doesn't make any sense! You can decide to let me go now. Come on, let me out!
The Stranger: I thought it was crazy for a long time. That I'm crazy. But I can't let you out because then you won't become what I am today. If I now change my past, I will change who I am right now. And then I won't be able to destroy the hole once and for all. Why did you kiss Martha? We're not free in what we do, because we're not free in what we want. We can't overcome what's deep within us.
Jonas: [Tearful] Stop it. Stop. Please stop. I have to bring Mikkel back. I want everything to go back to normal. [Banging the door] I want all this sick shit to stop!
The Stranger: You still do. Thirty-three years later. I still want that. But Mikkel... Our father is just a small part of a sprawling sickness. I've seen things that no one should ever see. I'm sorry.
- Noah: Everything is about to begin. The older Jonas will destroy the hole, but... he doesn't realize that he will be the one to trigger its existence. A paradox. The cesium in his useless machine won't destroy the hole forever. It's what creates it in the first place. He thinks he's the savior. But Claudia lied to him. Most people are nothing but pawns on a chessboard. Led by an unknown hand. Their lives exist only to be sacrificed for a higher goal. Jonas, Mikkel, the children, they're nothing but unfortunate, yet necessary chess moves in an eternal war between good and evil. There are two groups out there fighting to control time travel. Light and shadow. We belong to the light. Don't forget that. Even though some of what we do is of a dark nature. But no victory is ever won without sacrifice. As long as we're in this time loop we who know have to make sure that every step will be repeated exactly as it was before. No matter how inhumane it seems to us. No matter what sacrifices it demands of us. But believe me, the others are the ones who are truly inhumane. They have lost all humanity. They belong to the shadow. Your grandmother, Claudia, belongs to the shadow. Never trust her, No matter what she says. Jonas trusted her before and he will trust her again. Jonas thinks he will change everything... but he's just her puppet. He doesn't deserve any better.
[Brielfy chuckles and hands Bartosz his triquetra notebook]
Noah: Time is an infinite field. Millions and millions of interlocking wheels. We have to be patient to be victorious. But our time will come. We will free humanity from its immaturity. From its pain. But you must be strong. Can you do that?
- Is Claudia really the hero that The Stranger and Tronte follow, or is she as evil as Noah claims she is? Why would she lie?
- Why did Claudia tear out the last few pages of the triquetra notebook?
- Who was the traumatized man that temporarily stayed with Child Noah's family?
- What pain did Noah experience that drove him to do what he does?
- Who wrote the triquetra notebook?
- How will Jonas grow up to become The Stranger?
- Noah says that there are two groups out there fighting to "control time travel". Those two groups are "Light and shadow/Good and evil". What does he mean by this? Is this related to the conflict between him and Claudia?
- Why does Noah want to maintain certain events in the time loop even though he wants to free humanity from it's pain?
- How will Helge 1953 return back to 1953 to grow up?
- What happened in 2052? Why is Winden run by a military cult?
- The shared secret between Peter and Tronte is revealed. On the night of November 4, 2019, he discovered Mads' body and called Tronte over in the middle of the night. Just then, Claudia appeared and instructed them to move Mads' body into the woods. This could explain why Peter was upset in the morning after, why Tronte had blood in his sleeves when he was doing the laundry, and why Peter has red sand in his volvo. Claudia explained the entire time travel situation and the fact that everything is in a time loop. She likely revealed her plan to destroy the cycle, and set time straight. She handed them a copy of the triquetra notebook, which states certain paranormal events in Winden and records on time travel.
- At the night of November 11, 2019, The Stranger was stealing Cs-137 from the yellow barrels. This substance is capable of time travel, and he needed that as fuel for the time machine.
- In "Double Lives", Helge said that he needed to stop someone. Although it's confirmed that he wanted to stop Noah, he ended up trying to stop his 1986 self.
- The electric chair needed to be built in the bunker because it was above the wormhole intersection.
- The Stranger is the grown-up version of Jonas. Jonas would carry his desire to destroy the time loop for the next 33 years. This explains how The Stranger knows Jonas so well, and why he's been anonymously assisting him in his journey. He wants to maintain his own past in order to be where he is right now, desperate to destroy the time loop.
- The accident that happened to Helge Doppler in November 12, 1986 (mentioned in "Crossroads") was the car crash with his elderly self.
- The opening memory of Helge 1953 in "Crossroads" is explained. He ended up in 1986 via a glitch portal.
- The string wall is in 2052, which is also the year that the time traveling Claudia resides in.
Themes and Motifs Edit
- In "Secrets", Mikkel vanished right before it started raining. During the flashback with Peter, it was already raining. This means that he discovered Mads after the disappearance.
- Mads was born in December 4, 1973.
- The events of "Crossroads" in 2019 took place on a Saturday.
- The events of "Truths" took place on a Thursday.
- Helge Doppler's disappearance happened exactly 66 years before 2019.
- Tronte and Peter have been observing the occurrences of the last 8 days.
- Jonas would carry his desire to destroy the time loop for the next 33 years.
- Helge 1986 was listening to a song encouraging him to look forward into the future, before getting into the crash.
- The newspaper stating the severe car crash is dated Thursday, November 13, 1986.
- Mads' corpse traveled from November 4, 1986 to November 5, 2019 via electric chair.
- Even though the 3 time periods are separated by 33 years, people can move rapidly between them and events seem to happen simultaneously. So Mads can be killed in 1986 but be sent to 2019 and appear to have been dead a few hours. Erik and Yasin can be killed in 2019 but sent to 1953. Gretchen can disappear in 1953 but be found unchanged in 1986. Mikkel and Ulrich can hear each other 33 years apart. Helge and Jonas can touch each other, though separated by 33 years.
- The Stranger traveled from 2019 to 1986.
- Jonas traveled from 2019 to 1986.
- Noah traveled from 1986 to 2019 to meet with Bartosz.
- Helge 1953 traveled from 1953 to 1986.
- Jonas somehow traveled from 1986 to 2052.
- Ines tells Jonas the belief that the everything happens, no matter how normal, happen for a reason. Jonas is born for a purpose that's yet to be revealed.
- Noah tells the philosophy of how pain shapes a person's desires and actions. The Stranger adds that people aren't free in what they do because they aren't free in what they want. This can be applied to multiple characters:
- Ulrich lost both his brother and his son. His depression left him to be overactive and determined to find Mikkel. He even resorted to bludgeoning Helge 1953 to attempt to change the future.
- Jonas' depression and will for his father to live is what drives him to his current goal. He wants to end the time loop and every other paradox just so that everyone will be free from the pain that time travel has cause, even if it erases his existence. He'll carry this goal as The Stranger.
- Noah experienced something in his life, which drives him to perform his acts in order to find his own salvation.
- Tronte is desperate for Mads to live, which is why he follows Claudia without questioning her or the missing pages in the notebook.
- Helge 1986 suffered trauma as a child, and he aids Noah in performing acts of achieving salvation in order to numb his own pain.
- Helge's desperation to stop his younger self led him to attempted self-murder.
- Jonas can't be able to bring Mikkel back, because his future already exists.
- Jonas' bedsheets are blue. Plus, he wears his signature yellow raincoat.
- Helge was wearing a blue jacket.
- Charlotte 1986 wears a blue beanie.
- Claudia 1986 is wearing a green silk shirt.
- We see Tannhaus did have another machine ("As You Sow, so You Shall Reap") and built one for Claudia in 1953 ("Everything Is Now"). It relies on the smartphone Ulrich took from 2019 to 1953. The stranger's version guides him how to build the first one. The past influences the future, the future influences the past.
- Ulrich tries to get under Egon 1953's skin by reciting the lyrics from the song he knows he hates but this makes Egon 1953 believe he is a satanist and his reasons for trying to kill Helge 1953 make him believe he is a lunatic.
- Mikkel and Ines 1986 converse about Master Zhuang's paradox. A human dreamed of being a butterfly. Once he wakes up, he can't tell whether he's a human who dreamed about being a butterfly or if he's a butterfly dreaming about being a human. This can relate to Mikkel's situation. He can't tell whether he's a boy who traveled from 2019 to 1986, or if he's a boy from the past taken to 2019, and is placed in his home. That's what he means by "wake up", he wants to know what he is. The sugar cube trick could also be symbolic to this paradox. The cube is Mikkel, the first cup is 2019, and the second is 1986. The cube (Mikkel) somehow traveled from the first cup (2019) to the second (1986). When he theorises that he's possibly "both", he reveals 2 cubes in each of the cups. He believes that he might as well have originated from both time periods.
- The construction of the portable time machine relied on time travel itself. Claudia instructed Tannhaus 1953 to build the machine. 33 years later, The Stranger reveals to him as to what it is and leaves behind the oldest version of the machine. Tannhaus 1986 observed both the beginning and the end of the device, in order to understand the origin. He inspected the complete yet broken machine in order to finish the youngest version. He also used Ulrich's 2019 smartphone to send signals to the gears. The future influences the past in various ways, to where hardly any event makes sense.
- The Stranger wouldn't have known what to do with Michael's letter if it weren't for his older self telling him to do so, just like how he told Jonas.
- The journey of Michael's letter is a circle. Michael wrote before hanging himself, and it somehow landed on Ines. She then gave it to Jonas, who keeps it until he grows up into The Stranger. He would pass it down to his younger self, who reads it and burns it. Only days after it's destroyed, Ines handed the letter to Jonas, and everything repeats itself.
- Conflict between a Nielsen and a Tiedemann. Ulrich got arrested by Egon 1953. Ulrich and Katharina have been bullying Regina for over 30 years. Jonas is biologically part of the Nielsen family, and he ends up having a fight with Bartosz.
- The Stranger says that everyone in the time loop follows the same path over and over again.
- Noah states that Jonas would grow up to trust Claudia just like The Stranger did.
Religion and Mythology Edit
- Alpha and omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet, and a title of Christ and God in the Book of Revelation. It can be interpreted to mean The Beginning and the End (with the show based on there being no beginning or end).
- Peter recited the Serenity Prayer before witnessing Mads' body.
- Egon 1953 suspects Ulrich as a Satanist.
- The image of Jonas and Helge reaching their fingers towards each other through the wormhole is reminiscent of God and Adam reaching out to touch in The Creation of Adam, a fresco painting by Michelangelo which illustrates the Biblical creation narrative from the Book of Genesis in which God gives life to Adam, the first man. (Christianity)
- The title Alpha and Omega comes from the phrase "I am the Alpha and Omega," an appellation of Jesus in the Book of Revelation. When it appears, it is clarified with the additional phrase, "the beginning and the end." (Christianity)
- Before November 4, 1986, Erik and Mads were likely together in the same room. There was a bunk bed, and Erik was sleeping at the bottom. Mads was taken in October 9, and his possible cellmate was taken in October 22.
- Peter seems to have known Tronte before November 4, 2019, judging by the fact that he said "It's me, Peter.".
- Helge wakes up in the same watchtower that Jonas woke up in at the beginning of "Crossroads".
- Ulrich appears in this episode. This makes him the only character to appear in all 10 episodes of Season 1.
- Jonas still tries to return Mikkel to 2019, even though it will erase his existence (like his father he is prepared to end his existence). Before doing so he cuts ties with Martha and hugs his mother, telling her everything will work out.
- Even though Ulrich is innocent, he is visibly going insane due to grief.
- November 12, 2019 marks the end of Jonas and Bartosz's friendship.
- Another attempt is made to murder Helge after Ulrich failed. This time the elderly Helge tries to kill his younger self to stop him but again does not succeed.
- Noah is not simply kidnapping and murdering the children. He appears to be following the instructions from his notebook, and "makes sacrifices", in order to replicate events as they must happen.
- Ines 1986 adopts Mikkel who will grow up to be Michael Kahnwald.
- The scene of Helge Doppler 1953 waking up on the floor of the torture room is the same as we saw at the start of "Crossroads".
- The Stranger (Older Jonas) believes he can close the wormhole despite telling Jonas that we don't have free will.
- This episode sets Jonas' goal to destroy the cycle.
- In the transition from the ending of Jonas' conversation with Ines to Mikkel showing a magic trick to Ines 1986, both versions of her were smiling, and the camera moved to the opposite side of her.
- Noah's statement about The Stranger mistakenly creating the wormhole in the caves might as well be a lie.
- As he closes the wormhole, The Stranger hallucinates Michael covered in a black substance, just like they way he appeared in both "Secrets" and "Lies".
- The scene where Helge 1953 wakes up in the decorated bunker is recycled from the opening of "Crossroads".
- The Stranger failed in destroying the time loop, because if he did, then Jonas shouldn't exist.
- On the string wall, every member has their young, adult, and old selves pasted together, in order to display the fact that they're the same person. However, that doesn't apply for Mikkel and Jonas, since they are connected to photos of their adult selves by red string.
- It's never explained as to why Jonas ended up in 2052 instead of 1953. It's possible that it's simply a glitch in space-time, caused by the closing of the wormhole. An example of this glitch is when a 1986 Raider commercial was being played momentarily in 2019.
- According to the official website for Dark, the Girl from the future's name is Silja.
Cultural References Edit
- Back to the Future: The Stranger says that the electric chair time machine isn't like the DeLorean from this time travel based movie. Back to the Future is a 1985 American science fiction film directed by Robert Zemeckis and written by Zemeckis and Bob Gale. It stars Michael J. Fox as teenager Marty McFly, who accidentally travels back in time to 1955, meeting his future parents and becoming his mother's romantic interest.
- "Goodbye" by Apparat
The opening song.
- "Partita: III. Courante" by Roomful of Teeth
Charlotte sees Ulrich's mugshot in 1953. Ulrich is beaten by the 1953 officers. Jonas is kidnapped by Noah and Helge 1986.
- "Irgendwie, Irgendwo, Irgendwann" by Nena
Helge 1986 listens to this song on the radio before being hit by Helge.
- "A Quiet Life" by Teho Teardo & Blixa Bargeld
The Stranger closes the passage.
- On the morning of November 12th after Jonas throws his medicine in the trash, he looks to his desk and sees the orb light, Geiger counter, and the suicide letter. However, he previously burned the suicide note on November 9th.
- → See 80 images from Alpha and Omega at Images from Alpha and Omega.